Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Face Time

When Jena (my daughter) Face Timed me, my cell phone lit up, and I hurriedly accepted her invitation, although I had no experience with Face Time. Immediately, the screen displayed a large picture of her in her own home some 28 miles away and a smaller (inset) picture of me in my kitchen. (She told me her cell phone displayed a large picture of me and a smaller one of herself.) When we held our phones at various angles and distances, we could also see portions of the rooms and what we were doing. (In our case, we were walking around and around, logging in more steps on our Fitbits. But that’s another story!) As we walked and talked and laughed together, it was the next best thing to actually being in the same room.

Although I had fun learning how to use the Face Time feature on my new phone, I definitely don’t want to Face Time every call. (I only want people to see me when I am at my best.)But if I had to use it every time, perhaps I’d more fully understand the awesome concept that Jesus is with me all the time. He sees me when I’m at my best, when I’m at my worst, and all times in between. He wants me to talk with Him as naturally, as spontaneously, as eagerly, and as freely as I did my daughter. I wasn’t embarrassed that she saw me looking less than my best. After all, she loves me, and I love her. We’ve experienced life together and, thus, feel comfortable in each other’s presence, knowing that our love for each other isn’t affected by appearances.


Dear Reader, Jesus is with you and me all the time, whether we realize it or not. Happy are we when we become so aware of His presence that we talk freely (and often) throughout the day with Him, thanking Him for His goodness to us, admitting our sins and shortcomings, asking Him for wisdom, delighting in His love for us, …. 

O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.

~David (in Psalm 139:1-4, ESV)

No comments: