Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Every Step Counts!

Around the middle of January 2015, I received an e-mail from the good folks at Fitbit® informing me that I had walked 696 miles in 2014. In doing so, I’d taken over 1.5 million steps (1,696,496, to be exact). I was shocked I’d walked that much!

But then I read the note near the bottom of the e-mail, which said, in essence, “Every single step you took during your very busy days added up to something big, something really big!”  You know, that’s very true. Most days, I do some intentional walking, like in my neighborhood. But the many steps I’ve taken while running errands or going on photo shoots or doing household chores or volunteering at the local hospital, etc. have brought me closer to my goal.

What is my goal? To walk from my home in Georgia to a small town in Nevada where a dear friend lives. I embarked upon this “virtual” journey in October 2013.  I reached Oklahoma City at the end of Jan. 2015 and am heading to Amarillo, which is 1139 miles from where I live. That’s still a looooong way from Wellington, Nevada, but I’ll eventually get there, step by step, mile by mile.

As I reflected on that, I realized anew that nearly every goal we set is achieved in small increments. For example, losing weight, learning how to do something, etc. As the Bible says, “For it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little” (Isaiah 28:10, ESV).


Step. Step. Step. Every one counts!!!

No comments: