Monday, March 30, 2015

Daily Agenda--Simplified!

Tasks and deadlines pile up faster than dishes in the sink, causing me to think, So much to do; so little time!

Thus, I decided to follow the instructions another writer* sensed Jesus giving to her: “When something comes to your attention, ask Me whether or not it is part of today’s agenda. If it isn’t, release it into My care and go on about today’s duties.”

For years, I’ve maintained to-do lists that contain the four categories shown in the sample below. However, mine never looks simple and short like that one! Instead, my real list is filled with short-term and long-term tasks to do ASAP. Thus, I’m overwhelmed by the sheer number of things (50 or more) I’ve listed and by the time needed to do them, as well as tasks that have become so habitual that I don’t need to list them (make bed, brush teeth, etc.).

But, after reading the above advice, I decided I’d create a second list, one that includes only the tasks I ­must accomplish today. I listed the things that I aim to do every day. With the exception of walking three miles, which I do throughout the day, I do all the others before the day “cranks up.” (Confession: Sometimes the blog post doesn’t get done, but I’m struggling to be more consistent.) So, I get up at 6:00 every morning to ensure I have time to do them. Once the “first things first” are done, then I add to the agenda, as the Lord directs me.

Working with a shorter list each day should produce the promised* simplicity: “a time for everything, and everything in its time.”


*Sarah Young, March 29th devotional in Jesus Calling.



No comments: