Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Place of Peace

The morning after I'd gone to a local theater to see The War Room (an inspiring movie about the dramatic difference prayer makes in the person who prays, as well as in the lives of those he or she prays for), my daily Bible reading brought me to Psalm 142, written by David centuries ago. As I read verses 1 and 2, I realized that David was doing exactly what was encouraged in the movie. 

With my voice I cry out 
to the LORD; 
with my voice I plead for mercy 
to the LORD.
I pour out my complaint 
before Him;
I tell my trouble 
before Him.

All throughout the day, I prayed for various people and situations. The following day, I received news that a friend was having serious problems following surgery. I could not go to be with her, but I did pray for her earnestly and repeatedly. Following David's example, I cried out to the Lord on her behalf. I pled with Him for mercy for her. 

Then I decided to sing (inside my house, of course) as I walked from room to room while working toward my daily goal of 10,000 steps. One of the songs I sang was
Near to the Heart of God.* As I walked and sang and prayed and reflected on the teachings I'd received from the movie, from Psalm 142, and from the song, I thanked God for the people He was using to teach me to turn to Him and tell my troubles to Him. As I became increasingly aware of the nearness of God, I found a "place of quiet rest, a place of comfort sweet, a place where all is joy and peace." 

Awesome! Truly awesome! A place far more uplifting than any of the beautiful landscapes I've had the pleasure of visiting and photographing. 

Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

*The words in the song were written by Cleland B. McAfee in 1903. To read all of them and see photos taken by others, click here.


No comments: