Friday, October 16, 2015

Pondering and Praising

As I read Psalm 143, I realized, once again, that I have something in common with David, who wrote that psalm. Like David, I love telling (and hearing!) personal experience stories. 

But, unlike David, I often fail to give God praise for His presence felt and His power shown in each of them, whether I’m telling about experiences of great pleasure or grievous pain.

However, I want to learn to conclude my real-life stories with sentences like these, each based on God’s Word:
  • All I needed, God provided. (Philippians 4:19)
  • But God caused everything to work out for His glory and my good. (Romans 8:28)
  • Although I didn’t know which way to turn, God showed me the way. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
  • I messed up big time, but God forgave me. (1 John 1:9)

Like David, I want to say to God:

I remember the days of old;
I meditate on all that You have done;
I ponder the work of Your hands.
Psalm 143:5

Only then will my real-life stories have true substance. Only then will they encourage and strengthen me, as well as those to whom I tell them.
While standing on the lawn of the Prince of Wales Hotel and looking down at Waterton (in Alberta, Canada), I marveled at all God had created. And I thanked Him for letting me see such beauty and for giving me a heart/mind that likes to ponder and praise the work of His hands in nature, as well as in the life He has given me.


No comments: