Friday, March 11, 2016

Pleas from the Heart

One Sunday morning, our congregation sang, “Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart,” a wonderful hymn written by George Croly in London in 1854. I didn’t recall ever having heard it before, but I sang along as best I could. Later, I searched the Internet and found not only the words but also audio recordings of it on several sites, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKxTkrRNBA

The words of that hymn form a beautiful prayer. For example, the writer asks:
  • Wean my heart from earth…
  • Make me love Thee as I ought to love…
  • Take away the dimness of my soul…

My heart cries out for them, too. It also echoes the pleas found in verse 4:

Teach me to feel that Thou are always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear,
[Teach me] to check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unceasing prayer.


Dear Reader, do you feel a need to ask God for these things, too? 

Guido Gardens in Metter, Georgia



1 comment:

Jans Funny Farm said...

Thank you for posting the link to the song. It isn't one I've heard before.