Sunday, March 6, 2016

When Flesh and Heart Shall Fail

Today, Sunday, March 6, 2016, is the 34th anniversary of my Daddy’s death. I've thought often about him today and even more so when our congregation sang Amazing Grace. The fifth verse gave me special comfort because I knew Daddy had believed the truth it contains and that he is now experiencing the reality of the words written by John Newton in 1779:

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The Bible verifies the truth of those words. For example, Revelation 21:4, New Living Translation, says:

[God] will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.

Even though I’ll always miss Daddy and feel sad that he has passed from this life, I rejoice in knowing that, by God’s grace, Daddy no longer feels any sadness or suffering—only joy and peace! And I also rejoice in knowing that same grace will bring those blessings to me when my flesh and heart shall fail.


1 comment: