Sunday, May 1, 2016

Loving and Telling the Old, Old Story


The Sunday our congregation sang the hymn I Love to Tell the Story, I thought, Well, I surely do!

For example, when I’m writing (columns, articles, blog posts, greeting card messages) or when I'm conversing with friends, I often mention the same Bible verses again and again. I used to fret a bit about such repetition until I realized that although I am reiterating the old, old story of Jesus and His love, I’m telling about new circumstances in which I’ve experienced the reality of His love and am now, hopefully, enlightening and/or encouraging others by telling them about it.

As Katherine Hankey, writer of that beloved hymn, said,
I love to tell the story;
‘Tis pleasant to repeat
What seems each time I tell it,
More wonderfully sweet:

And, Dear Reader, it’s crucial that you and I tell others about Jesus and His love, since, as the hymn says,
For some have never heard
The message of salvation
From God’s own holy Word.

One of many Bible verses displayed in
Guido Gardens in Metter, Georgia
Thus, I am not ashamed of repeating scriptural truths. I pray that God will continue to allow me to sincerely tell the old, old story again and again--in fresh ways—so that others may also know it, believe it, love it, and tell it.







For I am not ashamed of the gospel, 
for it is the power of God for salvation 
to everyone who believes…

~The Apostle Paul 
(Romans 1:16, English Standard Version)

No comments: