Monday, July 3, 2017

Please, God!

The Sunday prior to July 4th, our congregation sang the poem-turned-song, America the Beautiful. I noticed that the writer (Katharine Lee Bates) had included in it several prayers for America that are just as fitting today as when she wrote them in 1893. For example:

America! America! 
God shed his grace on thee.
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.


America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine.

Will you join me in asking God to do these things for America and to enable her to once again become a nation filled with people who love the Lord God and seek to honor and please Him in all we do and in all we say? Only with His help will America be beautiful in every way—from sea to shining sea.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you're enjoying this blog and that's you'd like to follow me elsewhere. I do not use Twitter. In fact, I do very little on social media, although I do have an Instagram and a Facebook account. Blessings on you! Johnnie

Johnnie Ann Gaskill said...

Thank you for commenting! You have encouraged me to continue to post content to this blog. Johnnie