Thursday, January 25, 2018

Waiting

From time to time, I try my hand at writing haiku, a kind of poetry that originated in Japan centuries ago. Although my poems may not be as good as those written by young children, I do enjoy the challenge of telling a story in only three lines of a poem, each of which has a set number of syllables: five in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third.

Recently, as I was choosing "keeper" photos from the hundreds I'd taken on a trip to the beach several months prior, I came across one I'd taken while standing on a 14th floor balcony just after sunrise. I decided to use that photo as inspiration for the poem.
hungry herons stare 
fishermen keep watch on lines 
waiting for breakfast 

While thinking about how the herons and the fisherman waited at water's edge for food, I remembered these words David used at the beginning of Psalm 63:

O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You... 
(verse 1, NKJV)

I will make that same statement of faith, that same promise. I will rise early and wait patiently...expectantly...for the blessings my God provides. As I wait, I will praise Him and thank Him.

No comments: