Thursday, March 1, 2018

Letting Go

While photographing in my yard, I noticed this daffodil that had been damaged by the wind and the rain that had moved through the neighborhood a day or so prior. Oh, it was so beautiful, I thought, but look at it now!

As I photographed it, I remembered this quote I'd written in my journal: "There comes a time when the beautiful flower must go. We must let it!"

I have no idea who said that, but it's true, isn't it? True not only in regard to beautiful flowers but also true of people, lifestyles, and careers--and sometimes abilites, health, mobility, opportunities, and many other blessings we have enjoyed for years. Naturally, we shrink from letting go, but when we have to, we have to. When that time comes, it's far better to let go gracefully than to do so while "kick'n' and scream'n'," isn't it? 

As I reflected on the letting go process, I recalled what the psalmist said to God, and my heart echoed his words. 


In You, O LORD, I put my trust;
Let me never be put to shame....
Be my strong refuge
To which I may resort continually;
For You are my rock and my fortress....
You are my hope, O LORD GOD;
You are my trust from my youth.
By You I have been upheld from birth;
You are He who took me out of my mother's womb.
My praise shall be continually of You....
You are my strong refuge.
Let my mouth be filled with Your praise
And with Your glory all the day.
Do not cast me off in the time of old age;
Do not forsake me when my strength fails....
I will go in the strength of the LORD GOD;
I will make mention of Your righteousness, of Yours only....
Now also when I am old and grayheaded,
O God, do not forsake me.... (Psalm 71:1-18, NKJV).

Perhaps, Dear One, you would also like to use these words as a prayer to God and as an affirmation of your continuing faith in Him?

No comments: