Friday, March 4, 2016

Savor the Simple Pleasures!

As I write this, my mother-in-law is scheduled to move to a nursing home today. I feel incredibly sad for her and for our family, for she has been like a second mother to me for over 50 years. I wonder how she feels as she prepares to leave her home and go to an unfamiliar place.  I wonder how I will feel if I’m ever in that situation.

As I sat at the breakfast table this morning, I noticed this quote on the cover of the March 7, 2016, issue of Sports Illustrated: “There’s no way I’m not gonna have fun. I never fail to savor it.” Feeling drawn to know more about that, I turned to p. 30 to read the article Rick Reilly had written after interviewing Steph Curry who plays for the Golden State Warriors.

I learned that the quote on the cover had come from Curry, who said he knew how great it felt to win, after having spent four years before being on a winning team. He also said, “I know the league is so fluid. One trade, one bad free-agent signing, and it’s over. So there’s no way I’m not gonna have fun. I never fail to savor it” (p. 32).

A pot of homemade, nutritious soup simmering on my stove. Yum!
I realized how his determination to savor the good times is also crucial for you, Dear Reader, and me. Alas, we often take simple pleasures for granted, don’t we? For example, sleeping in our own bed, sitting in our favorite chair, eating favorite foods, enjoying looking out our own windows, caring for our personal needs, going and coming whenever we want to….


Such simple pleasures are easily overlooked; but once we lose them, we will realize how wonderful they were. So, let’s resolve to savor all of them—and, of course, to thank God for them! 


1 comment:

Jans Funny Farm said...

A neighbor, as he was losing his joy to dementia, once said, "If you're going to take away my car keys, you might as well kill me." He's been gone for a few years now, but I can still hear the sadness in his voice as he said those words.