Sunday, January 7, 2018

I Can. I Will.

The "woozies" and "wobblies" have slowed me down for over a year. For many days, I've gripped my cane and/or held onto the walls and furniture. Finally, I'm feeling better. Along with the improvement in my balance has come a surge of hope that I just might be able to resume normal activities again--or to become more active than I've been for a long time.

Thus, when I opened an email that contained a link to a blog post entitled 71 Ways to Exercise More in 2018, I didn't delete the message, as "hopeless me" might have done before starting to feel better. 

As I looked over the long list, I noticed there were many activities I am not able to do. Yet, I continued to read on. (Hopefully, you, Dear Reader, may be able to do them; so, I will list a few for you to consider.)

  • Do pushups or sit-ups when commercials interrupt your favorite TV shows.
  • Ride your bike.
  • Take your dog to the park.
  • Sprint to and from the mailbox.
  • Run a 5k or a half-marathon. (I can't, but my daughter can--and does! I'll cheer her on.)

Rather than despair over the ones I can't do right now, I made a list of several I can do, while inside my house. 

  • Do calf raises while I brush my teeth.
  • Stand up and walk around a few minutes each hour. (Increases heart rate, burns a few calories, and improves circulation.)
  • Use resistance bands. (I'll use the set of training tubes my daughter gave me years ago.)
  • Repeatedly lift and hold both feet off the floor when I'm sitting at my desk and checking e-mails. Doing so will strengthen my core, as well as my leg muscles.
  • Vaccum.
  • While sitting anywhere, point my toes and flex my feet.

And I noticed activities I used to do that I can now resume.

  • Do an exercise video. (I have some of Leslie Sansone's in-home walking workout DVDs and have enjoyed them in the past. I'll start using them again even if I can't walk a mile right away.)
  • Set a daily step goal on a fitness tracker. (I'll walk throughout the day, accumulating steps as I make "laps" inside the house and as I do my housework. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to walk for extended periods in the neighborhood again.)
I know I'll experience good results if I choose to think about what I can do (and do it!) rather than let what I can't do discourage me to the point of doing nothing at all. 
.
..whatever things are true..think on these things.

Philippians 4:8



No comments: