Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Even Though...

The fig trees in the yard have begun sprouting new leaves that will soon hide nearly all the branches that are clearly seen in winter. In a few months, an abundance of figs will appear, which we will gladly share with those who want to make some delicious fig preserves.


As I look at the new leaves and anticipate the harvest ahead, I recall these words found in Habakkuk 3:17-19, New Living Translation: Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the LORD! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign LORD is my strength!


As I reflect on those words, written centuries ago, I pray that I, along with people all over the world, will trust God at all times, regardless of whether things look hopeless or promising. As Habakkuk so rightly said, the Lord is our strength in every situation.

No comments: