Monday, June 15, 2020

A Chance Encounter?

Note: Another FICTION story using these words provided by one of my grandsons:

Noun-duck

Adjective-slimy

Adverb-quickly

Verb-jump

Career-seminary professor

Abstract-hope

Color-indigo

Evan eased his lanky frame onto a park bench to watch the ducks glide serenely and seemingly effortlessly across the pond. Sometimes they disappeared into the murky water and reappeared, holding a slimy “something” in their beaks. He enjoyed watching them, as well as feeling the gentle breeze rearranging his wavy hair. Being so chillaxed, he startled when someone sat down beside him. 


When he and the young woman occasionally caught each other stealing a glimpse of the other, both blushed before she looked away. But one time, she held her gaze, her blue eyes looking even bluer because of the indigo jogging suit she wore.


Smiling, she said, “Do you come here often?”


“Sure,” he said. “I work near here.”


“Where?”


“At Union Theological School.”


“ What do you do there?”


“I’m a seminary professor.”


“You can’t be," she spluttered. "You’re too young!”


He grinned. “Well, I’ve known since I was twelve that God wanted me to know His Word and teach it to others, so I just jumped right into that. After I graduated college, I enrolled at Union and did so well there that the administration asked me to serve on the faculty.”


She lowered her eyes. “I wish my path had been made that clear. I’m still struggling.”


“Have you asked God to reveal His will for your life?”


“Many times. But I’ve given up hope that He will.”


“No. No. What God said a long time ago is still true—and true for you, too.”


Sensing her eagerness to know more, Evan seized the opportunity to quote Jeremiah 29:11 to her. “For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Then Evan added, “You can be sure of that.”


“Thank you for encouraging me. Maybe even this chance meeting is part of God's good plan?”


Evan nodded. “Nothing happens by accident. God uses all our experiences for His glory and our good.”


“I have to go now,” she said, “but could we meet again to talk more about this?”


“I’m available after 3 most days—and my time is God’s time.”


“Well, how about we meet right here tomorrow at five?”


“Certainly. If you’d like, we can walk around the pond as we talk.”


Evan watched her until she disappeared from sight, confident that she, like the ducks, would reappear--which would definitely delight him.



No comments: