Monday, March 9, 2015

Lest We Forget!



When a friend told me she places personal calendars in various places in her house so that she’d be reminded several times daily of where she needed to be—and when—I thought about my own strategies for keeping myself reminded of important things. I’ve synched a calendar on my personal computer with one on my cell phone. I also maintain shopping lists and an “ideas for blog posts” file on my cell phone. But even with such technology at my fingertips, I still use paper reminders. I scribble reminders on Post-it® notes, in notebooks, on 4x6 cards, etc. And whenever I have something really important to remember, I stick little reminder notes near my computer, near my purse, etc. so that I’ll be sure to see them.



Knowing how easy it is to forget important matters, I better understand why the phrase “Beware lest you forget…” is found so often in the Bible, particularly in the book of Deuteronomy. That warning was spoken by Moses as he reminded God’s people to take extra care to not forget the LORD their God once they entered into the good land the LORD their God had given to them. Moses knew, as do we, Dear Reader, how easy it is to forget God when blessings are abundant. Although, we’re quick to turn to Him when we have problems, we’re not as quick to seek Him and thank Him when we’re enjoying the good life. Right?

Perhaps we need to place reminders all around us to thank the LORD for the abundant blessings He has so freely given us and to praise Him for all that He is. After all, we DO need to remind ourselves, as the psalmist did, to “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits… (Psalm 103:2, ESV).

We’ll also benefit from frequently reading Psalm 105:1-5, ESV, which lists ways to bless the Lord:
O give thanks to the LORD; 
call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him; sing praises to him; 
tell of his wondrous works!
Glory in his holy name; 
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!
Seek the LORD and his strength; 
seek his presence continually!
Remember the wondrous works that he has done….  
(emphasis added)



No comments: