Monday, April 8, 2019

Be Content!

I've long struggled to understand these words the apostle Paul wrote centuries ago in his letter to the Christians in Philippi:
I know how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need (Philippians 4:11, CSB, emphasis mine).
How did he learn to be content in EVERY situation? How do you and I learn to do that? 

My longing to know prompted me to read Matthew Henry's commentary (originally published in 1706). Here's my "takeaway" on what he said:

Paul consistently chose to accept his situation and to adjust himself to it, whether or not it was one he liked. He did not rant and rave. He simply did the best he could where he was and with what he had. He trusted God to give him the strength he needed to cope with every circumstance. 

Even when suffering, Paul didn't lose his comfort in God. He didn't doubt God's love for him nor God's ability and willingness to take care of him. Thus, He waited quietly for God (not others!) to act on his behalf. 

When Paul enjoyed relative prosperity, he didn't boast or feel entitled to the good things God had provided for him. He humbly thanked his God for them.


How do we learn to be content in any situation? The same way Paul did! 

No comments: