Friday, August 9, 2024

Today

 One morning as I talked by phone with my daughter, she said, “What do you have planned for today?”

“Nothing is on my calendar, but I will do many things.” After mentioning several of them, I added, “It feels good to have an open day and not have to hurry, hurry, hurry.”


After the conversation ended, I remembered this poem I had read earlier that morning:

 

Today

So here hath been dawning

Another blue Day;

Think wilt thou let it

Slip useless away.

 

Out of Eternity

This new Day is born;

Into Eternity,

At night, will return.

 

Behold it aforetime

No eye ever did:

So soon it forever

From all eyes is hid.

 

Here hath been dawning

Another blue Day:

Think wilt thou let it

Slip useless away.

~ Thomas Carlyle, a Scottish essayist, historian and philosopher (1795-1881)

 

Although the language is outdated and the punctuation rather odd, his probing question is relevant today--and every day. Will we, dear reader, let God's gift of this new day "slip useless away"? Or will we thank God for it and use it in ways that please and honor Him and bless others?




Designed by Johnnie Ann Gaskill

No comments: