Thursday, April 16, 2015

Talk to Him About It

While reading through the Book of Psalms, I noticed how David is often is depressed and worried about his current situation. But after he talks with God about his concerns, his outlook changes. His thinking shifts from negative to positive, although his situation remains the same. The difference? He reminds himself of what he KNOWS to be true about God.

For example, in Psalm 13, David says, as you and I may have done, “How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?” (v.1). After asking the LORD to consider him and answer him, David concludes that psalm with these words:

But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
because he has dealt bountifully with me. (vv.5-6).

As I reflected on those words, I recalled the words to an old song, “Just a Little Talk with Jesus,” which remind us that a little talk with Jesus makes us right, even though our situation may remain virtually the same for quite some time. (Listen to the song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf0pdkW8T7s ).


It’s the little talk with Jesus that changes our attitude. No longer are we despairing and doubtful. Instead, when we realize anew that He loves us and “deals bountifully” with us even in the most difficult situations, we, too, can rejoice if only we’ll follow David’s example, as well as the advice given in 1 Peter 5:6: Cast all your cares upon Him because He cares for you.

A dear friend gave me this prayer box.

No comments: