Monday, February 23, 2015

Embrace the Challenges; Receive the Blessings

The day before I was to give my first speech at the January 22nd meeting of the local chapter of Toastmasters, I was a bundle of nerves. In fact, I was telling myself and others I’d never sign up to give another one.

I’m not sure why I was so nervous. I’d written my speech months ago. I knew my subject well. (Since this first speech was an “ice breaker,” I was supposed to talk about myself.) I had prepared a visual aid. I knew and liked everyone in the group, and I felt confident they’d be “cheering” for me.

The morning I was to give the speech, I woke up early and followed my normal routine. I spent the first hour or so reading the Bible and several devotional books. As always, I came across words that seemed written especially for me. In Sarah Young’s wonderful book, Jesus Calling, I read: “Anything that tends to make you anxious is a growth opportunity. Instead of running away from these challenges, embrace them, eager to gain the blessings I [Jesus] have hidden in the difficulties” (reading for January 22).

Embrace my fears???? Run toward—rather than away from—this challenge (as well as others)? Could I really do that?

As I struggled with that idea, I recalled these words spoken by Moses as the Israelites were preparing to enter the land God had promised them many years before: “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them [the current residents in that land], for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you” Deuteronomy 31:6, ESV.

As I reflected on that promise, I realized God would be with me, as He was with them, though my challenges with that 4-6 minute speech were minuscule in comparison to theirs. He would enable me to succeed. Consequently, my faith in Him would increase all the more, as would my gratitude for His help! Furthermore, only He knew what other blessings were hidden in the challenge.



Note: Much to my surprise (and great relief), I was calm when I gave my speech. That had to be a "God thing," because I had been "falling apart" the day before and the morning of the speech!

No comments: