Sunday, February 22, 2015

Light in the Darkness

After a dear friend highly recommended Sara Young’s devotional book, Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence, I downloaded it for my Kindle. What a treasure it is!!! As soon as I finish my daily Bible reading, I read the day’s devotional. Reading each one is as exciting (and easy!) as finding precious gems scattered on the ground, just waiting for me to notice them and be uplifted by them.

The author writes what she senses Jesus saying to her, hence the title Jesus Calling. As I read the words in the Feb. 11th devotional, I gave thanks for the confirmation of something quite similar He had said to me the night I’d looked out the window of our room on the ninth-floor of a hotel in Savannah and immediately noticed the brightly lit steeple of a nearby church. Nearly all the other buildings were concealed in darkness, which made the lighted steeple stand out all the more. 


The picture I’d felt compelled to take, though it was 1:00 in the morning, isn't any good--from a technical perspective--since I took it in low light and through the thick glass of the window while I hand held the camera. Plus, I couldn’t change my vantage point much at all. All those factors, when combined, produced a very poor picture. Even so, it’s a favorite of mine because I love how that lighted structure contrasts so sharply (and beautifully) with the surrounding darkness.

Thus, I immediately thought of that photo as I read these words in Jesus Calling: “My Peace is like a shaft of golden light shining on you continuously….See times of darkness as opportunities for My light to shine in transcendent splendor.”

Note: The following morning, I photographed the same steeple. I could see more details. I produced a more technically correct photo. But gone was the striking contrast the light had made while surrounded by darkness. So, I was thankful I had taken the time to make the photograph in the middle of the night. I will use it to remind me that God uses even our dark times as opportunities to showcase His splendor, causing others to notice the incredible difference He makes in the lives of those He indwells.



No comments: