Sunday, September 6, 2015

Exemplary Lives


This award is presented  annually to the photographer who earned the most ribbons in the "Advanced Division" during the competition, which is held each October.
One morning during my shift as a “Pink Lady” at our local hospital, I accepted a beautiful arrangement of flowers from a delivery person, who said, “Will you see that [name] gets these? She works in the dietary department.”
I hurried to the elevator, eager to do my small part in bringing delight to the recipient. When I exited, I saw the cafeteria manager standing in the hallway that led to the cafeteria. “Steve,” I said, “these are for [name], but I have no idea who she is or where I might find her.”
“I’ll be glad to take them to her. She’s washing pots and pans for us today.” He smiled. “She’s happy wherever she’s assigned, but these flowers will make her day. I’m glad someone sent them, for she deserves this special surprise. She’s one of the best employees I have.  Always arrives early for work. Does a really good job wherever we need her. And she gets along well with everyone.”
With a courteous nod, he headed off to deliver them. I was sorry I couldn’t go along and meet the exemplary employee—and see her happy face.
That experience came to mind a few weeks later as I listened to an online Bible study of the book of Titus. The teacher, Dr. Howard Hendricks, emphasized that every Christian has a ministry even if he is not serving on a church staff. No matter where we live and work, we are to be persons of integrity—living exemplary lives, and speaking and conducting ourselves in ways that honor our Lord.
A Christian should be the best employee that a company has, whether he holds a high or low position. That doesn’t necessarily mean he must be the most skilled or receive the most recognition, but it does mean his character should be the finest of anyone in that environment. Or, to borrow the phrase used in Titus 1:6, 7, a Christian should be “above reproach.” In other words, people should find no fault, no flaw, in his character.
As I reflected on that, I recalled a similar truth found in Proverbs 31, a Bible passage that describes an excellent wife. “She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life” (vv. 10b-12).
The writer of that passage then mentions some of the ways she ministers to/serves her husband and their family. While faithfully doing her work well, she displays strength, dignity, wisdom, kindness, etc.
Thus, “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all’” (Proverbs 31:29-30a).
Because of her character, her commitment to excellence, and her faithfulness in serving others, she provides an excellent example for us as we relate to our employer, our co-workers, our family, and our friends.
Wherever we are, we have opportunities to show others that, having been born again/anew, we are indeed a new creation; the old things (old ways) have passed away and new ways have come. And now, we’ve been given the awesome privilege of serving as ambassadors for Christ. (See 2 Corinthians 5:14-21.)
Let’s be good ones—VERY good ones!

Note: This article was submitted for publication in the Sept. 2015 issue of Chapel Hill News and Views, a magazine that's published monthly in the Douglasville, Georgia, area. I've been a columnist for that magazine since Feb. 2008.
                 Happy Labor Day!

No comments: