Thursday, September 3, 2015

Purposes

A ship is safe in the harbor, 
but that is NOT what it was built for.

The thought above is attributed to various people, including Theodore Roosevelt, John Augustus Shedd, and Theodore Roosevelt. Regardless of the source of that sentence, it is, indeed, a true one.

We, like boats, have been created for a purpose. For example, God said to His people through His prophet, Jeremiah," For I know the plans I have for you...They are plans for good and not for disaster,to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT).

And to Pharaoh, ruler of Egypt many centuries ago, God said, "I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying My power in you and to spread My fame throughout the earth" (See Exodus 9:16 and Romans 9:17.) 

According to Acts 13:36, "When King David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he died..."

God has purposes not only for royalty but also for everyone else. For example, Ephesians 2:10 says: "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned in advance as our way of life." 

While reflecting on the above, I recalled the song, "Take My Life, Lead Me, Lord," which was written by R. Maines Rawls in 1968. As I read all the words in the song, I noticed that all the requests (take my life; teach me, Lord; send me, Lord; etc.) were made for this purpose: "Make my life useful to Thee."

Oh, Dear Reader, may you and I be willing to let God use us according to His plans and purposes!






No comments: