Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Come to the Light


Upon awakening in a hotel room that was as dark as a moonless night, I delighted to see the outside light shining underneath the pinch-pleated, room-darkening drapes. I smiled as I also noticed the bit of electric light slipping through the space around the edges of the bathroom door. I eased out of bed, reached for my cell phone that was on the nightstand, and took a picture.



Upon hearing the snap of the shutter, my sleepy husband mumbled, “What are you taking pictures of?”

“The light! I love it!”

He groaned and rolled over in the bed. Knowing he wasn’t loving the light as much as I was, I snapped only three or four pictures before entering the bathroom to shower and dress for the trip home. In that room there was abundant light!


I wasn’t sure what the “message” about the light would be, but I knew it would come to me. Sure enough, it came the following morning as I busied myself in the kitchen. It was in the words of an old song, “The Light of the World is Jesus,” written by Philip P. Bliss in 1895. All I could remember of it was the refrain:
Come to the light, ‘tis shining for thee;
Sweetly the light has dawned upon me.
Once I was blind, but now I can see:
The Light of the world is Jesus!

I realized anew that by continually coming to Jesus, I can have as much light for life’s journey as I want. Although there’s much darkness (evil, sadness, suffering, etc.) in this world, there’s light available for the journey, if only I will open the door to my heart and pull back the “drapes” of my mind to receive His light. How much light I have to walk by depends on how wide I open myself to Him, how eager I am to walk in the light instead of stumble around in the darkness. Dear Reader, let’s come to the Light. It’s shining for us!!!


©2015 by Johnnie Ann Gaskill

No comments: