Monday, January 12, 2015

Recipe for a Happy New Year

Note: I scheduled this to post on Jan. 1st, but (due to some error, probably on my part), it didn't post on that day. Even so, this "recipe" is good on any day of the year!

When my daily Bible reading brought me to 2 Peter 1:5-8, I realized that passage was the “recipe” for a useful, fruitful life. As I thought about all the “ingredients” required, I remembered having read a similar “recipe” in one of the many cookbooks I’ve collected through the years. I located it, typed it, and then thought, Hmmm. I’d like to include a photo when I post the recipe.

I hurriedly gathered some of the things I’d need if I were making something edible. Then, I took the photo you see below. I had a good time “playing” with the setup. Most importantly, I’ve realized that all the ingredients listed in the Bible verse and in the recipe below are necessary. Best not to leave any of them out—if we want life to turn out right!

Recipe for a Happy New Year
Clean thoroughly 12 whole months.
Divide into 365 parts/days; set aside, preparing just one day at a time, as follows.
Mix well into each day:
1 part patience
1 part work
1 part courage
Add to each day:
1 part hope
1 part faithfulness
1 part generosity
1 part kindness
Blend with:
1 part prayer
1 part meditation
1 part good deed
Season each day’s mixture with:
A sprinkle of fun
A pinch of play
1 c. good humor
Pour mixture into a vessel of love.
Cook over radiant joy.
Garnish with a smile.
Serve with quietness, unselfishness, and cheer.
Yield: 1 Happy Year
~~ Unknown

…applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness love. For if these qualities [faith, moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love] are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless or unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:5-8, New American Standard Bible

No comments: