Monday, February 15, 2016

When Thro' Fiery Trials...

One Sunday morning when I was feeling especially overwhelmed by life—by all that must be done, by all the difficult decisions to make, and so forth, I found great comfort in the words to an old song our congregation sang during the morning worship service. The words to the song “How Firm a Foundation” were written by John Rippon in 1787. Even though the words are centuries old, their message remains true and timely.

I especially like truths such as these that are found in verse two, words the hymn writer senses God saying to him and words which I felt He was continuing to say to me that day:

Fear not I am with thee; O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

More wonderful promises are found in the rest of the song, but I was drawn to the ones in verse four:
When thro’ fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

Note: To learn more about these promises, search the Scriptures, particularly Isaiah 43:2.

No comments: