Saturday, January 19, 2019

Refuse to Worry!

Do you worry about almost everything—and everyone? I tend to do that, but I’m really trying hard to stop it. My mother was a worrier, as was her mother, as was her mother.... 

Although I come from a long line of worriers, I’m hopeful that the worry “gene” has not been passed on to my daughters, since they don’t seem to worry as much as I do.

While it’s good to be concerned about ourselves and others and the challenges we face, it’s not good to fret about them. One person likened worrying to rocking in a chair. “It gives us something to do but doesn’t get us anywhere.” 


In Luke 12:25-26, Jesus pointed out the futility of worrying when He asked, “Can you add a single cubit to your stature?” (Some translations say, “Can any of you add one moment, one hour, to your life span?”) Since no one can, Jesus went on to say, in essence, “Then why are you worrying about all sorts of other things?” 

Instead of walking the floor or tossing and turning all night or talking endlessly about how awful a certain situation is, why not spend that time talking to the One who CAN do something about it? Then, trust Him to handle it in His way and in His time.

No comments: