Tuesday, February 26, 2019

A Message for Me

Note: I hope you enjoy the following edited version of a FICTION story I wrote in response to this writing prompt: You're at the beach and find a message in a bottle. What does it say?

As I wandered along a remote section of beach, I saw a bottle bobbing in the surf. I waded into waist-deep water to retrieve it. After carrying it to shore and drying it and my hands as best I could, I removed the cork, eager to pull out the paper someone had rolled tightly before inserting it into the quarter-size opening.

Something stirred deep within my soul as I read these words:
           
Created by Johnnie Ann Gaskill, 2019

I wondered, Did she reach her desired destination? If not, what happened to her? Had she sailed alone? What prompted her to leave all that was familiar and embark upon such an uncertain journey?


I didn’t know the answer to any of those questions, but I applauded her courage and tenacity. Sensing that God intended me to find that message and to follow her example, I decided I’d set sail, not upon an ocean, but in the direction of the dream God gave me over three decades ago, a dream I’d been too scared to pursue. 






No comments: