Saturday, February 9, 2019

Lessons from the 5K, #1--Encourage One Another

I was tempted to give up before the 5K Run/Walk started, but I decided to be brave and give it my best shot. I'm glad I did for the experience brought to mind several important lessons about life. I'll share a few of them with you in the days ahead, one lesson per post, so "stay tuned."

As the 39 participants gathered near the START line, I realized I was probably the oldest one, but I hoped I wouldn't be the last one to finish. But I was! And I knew that I would be--right from the start--because all the runners took off, as did the half-dozen or so walkers, leaving another woman and me waaay behind--and with no hope of catching up.

My face was almost as red as my windbreaker as I walked as fast as I could along the busy four-lane road in the small town where I live. I hoped that no one I knew would pass by and see me lagging behind. I wanted to head back to the START line, while it was so close behind me. But I thought, No! I paid to do this! I've trained to do it. I've told people I'm doing it. And, last or not, I'm going to do it.

When I reached the first water station, I smiled at the volunteers as I hurried past them. "I'm the last one, so you can go home now."

"We're proud of you," they said. "Keep on going! You can do it!" 

Because of their words of encouragement, I felt my shame lessen a bit. I held my head higher. I became even more determined to keep going rather than give up.

Lesson: We often fail to realize how powerful our words of encouragement--even a few simple ones--can be to others, especially those who are tempted to give up rather than press on toward their goals.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes. Thank you

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you, Mom! ❤️❤️❤️❤️