Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Full of Life

Shortly before my sixty-something birthday, I came across an article about a 101-year-old woman who celebrated that birthday by repelling down a 328-foot tower, despite the wind and the rain, breaking her own record as the world’s oldest abseil-er. She’s looking forward to a similar celebration next year.

Her story reminded me of a friend of mine who celebrated her 88th birthday by taking a motorcycle ride, courtesy of a friend who drove her around town. For her 89th birthday, she took a hot air balloon ride.

I’m not planning to do anything quite as daring as they did, but I’m glad I had an opportunity to take an untethered hot air balloon ride several years ago. I never dreamed I’d get to do it—or that I’d have the courage to do it. But I did! 
I'm the one waving!

What I do hope to do on my birthday (and in all the days ahead) is to experience the reality of the promise found in Psalm 92:14-15, NASB:

[The righteous] will still yield fruit in old age;
They shall be full of sap and very green,
To declare that the LORD is upright.

No comments: