Friday, July 3, 2015

Long May It Wave!






In the late afternoon on the eve of July 4th, I stopped by one of the local churches to photograph a display of American flags. Fortunately, there was a brisk wind that furled and unfurled the beautiful flags--and kept me cool on that hot, humid day.

Later that evening, as I edited the photos, I thought about the song Francis Scott Key wrote in 1814.The first verse in The Star-Spangled Banner is very familiar to most of us, since it's our national anthem; but the remaining verses may not be. (You'll find all of them listed here: http://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/the-lyrics.aspx

I particularly liked the last three lines of the fourth verse; so, as I often do, I paraphrased the words and used them as a prayer:


O may this always be our motto 
(and way of life!)--
"In God is our trust,"
So that the star-spangled banner 
in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free 
and the home of the brave.



Blessed is the nation 
whose God is the LORD, 
the people whom He has chosen 
for His own inheritance.
Psalm 33:12, New American Standard Bible

No comments: