Thursday, July 2, 2015

Timeless Truths

I enjoy browsing in hymnals. Often, I’ll stop and sing the songs I know and love. But if I come to one I don’t know, I don’t let my inability to read music (and, thus, figure out the tune) keep me from enjoying the hymn’s message. I simply read the hymn as if it were a poem.  

One recent morning, I came across a hymn I’d never heard before: God Is Love, His Mercy Brightens, which was written by John Bowring, 1825.  After I’d read all the words, I summarized (using my own words) the timeless truths Mr. Bowring had expressed so poetically centuries ago.


  • God is love and, therefore, loving--always!!!
  • God's mercy brightens every path.
  • God kindles happiness within us.
  • God lightens our loads of care.
  • Changes are ever-present: man decays; ages move. Yet God’s mercy never diminishes.
  • Even the times that seem the darkest verify God’s changeless goodness.
  • Through the gloom, God’s brightness streams.
  • God interlaces hope and comfort into our earthly cares.
  • God’s glory shines everywhere! (Oh, may we have the vision to see it.)
What an awesome God we have!


The LORD’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is [His] faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22, 23, NASB

No comments: