Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Gifts

The “Happy Birthday” bouquet of beautiful flowers delighted me. I immediately sent my friend a text message to let her know the florist had delivered it. In addition to delighting in the sight of the bouquet, I spent hours photographing it. As I experimented with the settings on two cameras and external flashes, I took an even closer look at the individual flowers that comprised the bouquet and was awed by the perfection I saw in each one.



As I worked, I also felt thankful to have such a caring friend who knows how much I love to photograph beautiful flowers, whether from a florist or in a neighbor’s yard or in a formal garden or alongside the road. Her gift reminded me that she was thinking about me and was celebrating with me, though we live 150 miles apart.


The more I thought about her gift and others I’d received, the more I realized that it’s not the price of the gift that matters. It’s the unspoken message that says, “I remember you. And to prove that I do, I’m giving you this gift” (or sending a card or calling to say hello, etc.). For example, I cherish this message my 8-year-old grandson wrote on the card he made for me: “I am the most happiest boy in the world because of you!!!!!!!!” 

Truly, it’s not the price of the gift that matters. It knowing that we are remembered—and loved.


I have loved you with an everlasting love;
Therefore I have drawn you [to Me] with lovingkindness.”
~God
Jeremiah 31:3, New American Standard Bible

No comments: