Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Take Joy!

 “Hurry! You’ll want to see this,” my husband said.

I followed him to our bedroom window and stood beside him as we watched twin fawns running with joyful abandon around and around in our backyard. Their mother made no attempt to slow them down, though she kept a watchful eye on them as she grazed on tender blades of grass. So, around and around they went, their skinny legs fully extended. If deer could smile, I feel sure those fawns would have had huge grins on their spotted faces!

Naturally, I longed to take a picture of them, and I did try. However, by the time I’d grabbed my camera and sneaked as silently as possible to the edge of the deck closest to them, they’d stopped running. One was standing near its mother as she grazed underneath a cedar tree. I snapped a photo, though it wasn’t the one I wanted. Neither was it technically correct, due to distance, low light, etc.

We’ve seen the fawns another time or two since then, but they’ve never been running as wild and free as they were that morning. Was that their first time to try their legs in a wide open space? Whatever their motivation, their exuberance was obvious and such a delight to watch.

Come to think of it, it’s also a delight to watch people enjoy their lives, whether it’s a child splashing happily in a pool or an adult savoring a good meal or a runner crossing the finish line with arms high in the air…Since we humans love to see others relishing their experiences, surely our heavenly Father takes pleasure in seeing His children (and His animals) enjoying the life He has given them.

I came that they may have and enjoy life,
and have it in abundance—to the full, till it overflows.
~Jesus in John 10:10, Amplified Bible

No matter how difficult life is, 
I will rejoice in the LORD. 
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
Paraphrase of Habakkuk 3:17-18





No comments: