Monday, July 6, 2015

Word of the Day

The agenda for each meeting of the local chapter of Toastmasters International includes time for the Word of the Day (WOD). At the appointed time, a member (who has volunteered a couple of weeks or so in advance) displays the WOD he/she has written in large letters on a sheet of letter-size paper, pronounces the word, defines it, uses it in a sentence, and reminds those who speak during the remainder of the meeting to try to include the WOD in their verbal responses and presentations.

I thought about this one recent morning as I read several chapters in the Bible. As always, I came across many verses that stood out from among the others, but I wondered, Which of these will I choose for the Word of the Day? Which one will I try to memorize and then include in my communications with others?

That day, I chose Psalm 89:1, King James Version:
I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever:
with my mouth will I make known
thy faithfulness to all generations.

Since for many years I’ve known a song that includes those words, it was easy for me to say/sing these words many times that day. And…as I spoke with people throughout the day, the Lord gave me opportunities to easily mention the mercies of God and to express heartfelt thanks for His faithfulness—without sounding sermonic.


I’m eager to see what tomorrow’s Word of the Day will be and how God will allow me to see it, say it, and share it!

No comments: